The Safe And Effective Rodent Control Solution For Your Stafford Home
If you’ve heard scratching in your walls or the pitter-patter of little feet running in your ceiling, you may have rodents in your home. Since rodents can spread disease and cause major property damage, you should call a Stafford pest control company as soon as possible to help you get rid of your furry little problem.
How To Identify Common Types Of Rodents In Stafford
Many rodents are commensal in Virginia. That means they rely on humans for part of their survival. The four most common kinds of rodents in Stafford to invade homes are field mice, house mice, roof rats, and Norway rats.
- Field mice are usually reddish-brown, dark brown, or beige. They have smaller ears than house mice. They’re about four inches long, and their tails measure between 2 and 3½ inches. They’re most usually found outside, but when they come inside, they come to stay.
- House mice are grayish-brown with large ears and short legs. They’re about 2 ¾ to 3 ¾ inches long, and their tails are usually the same length as their bodies. They’re the most common mouse found inside.
- Roof rats are dark brown and have black, gray, or white bellies. Their bodies are six to eight inches long, as are their tails. They get their name from their propensity to live in attics and rafters.
- Norway rats are dark gray or brown with light gray or brown bellies. Their bodies are about 9 ½ inches long, and so are their tails. They’re not the greatest climbers, but they may build extensive burrows under your home and through your walls.
All four types of rodents can cause major issues for both you and your property.
Rodents Can Make You Sick And Damage Property
Rodents in Virginia spread a variety of diseases and can cause property damage in many different ways. Here are some of the illnesses you could contract if you have rodents in your home:
- Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)
- Lymphocytic Choriomeningitis (LCM)
- Rat Bite Fever
The property damage caused by rodents can be extensive. Some of the risks they pose include:
- Chewed-up walls, ceilings, and floors
- Fire risks from chewed-on electrical wires
- Gnawed furniture or cabinets
- Soiled insulation
Rather than face the dangers and damages posed by rodents, it’s important to take steps to keep rodents out of your Stafford home.
Four Simple Rodent Exclusion Tips For Around Your Home
There are a variety of ways to keep rodents out of your home, including:
- Seal up any cracks, crevices, or holes on the outside of your home. All rodents that infest your home have collapsible rib cages, letting them slip through the smallest holes. If the mouse or rat can get its head through an opening, it can squeeze its body through as well. Most can get through holes the size of a quarter or even smaller.
- Put screens in all your windows and vents and a cap on your chimney. Mice and rats can climb to find access into your home.
- Clean up outside. Cut back tree branches that overhang your roof, put pet food in airtight containers, pick up any fruit or nuts that fall in your yard, trim your bushes back away from your house, and get rid of any outside water sources.
- Keep your garbage in containers with tightly-fitted lids so mice and rats can’t get into them and feast.
Preventing entry points and eliminating factors that attract rodents to your property can go a long way toward deterring an infestation, but if rodents are already in your home, these tips are not likely to be enough to get rid of rodents.
The Most Effective Rodent Control Method For Your Home
The most effective way to get rid of rodents is to call in a professional with experience in dealing with them. Viewpoint Pest Management Solutions has the experience needed to eliminate your infestation and make sure rodents can’t re-enter your home. Effective rodent control in Stafford is best done by a professional because of all the dangers rodents bring with them when they move into your home.
Viewpoint Pest Management Solutions is a local, family-owned and operated business that knows the area, knows the rodents, and knows how to get rid of them and keep them from coming back. Our service specialists are waiting for you to call. Reach out today to request your free inspection and to learn more about our residential and commercial pest control services in Stafford.