Why Ants Invade Sterling Homes And How To Keep Them Out
October 15, 2022 - Ants
Ants are the most common nuisance pest in the United States, which means that at least one species is likely present around your property. But why do you have ants and what can you do to avoid them? At Viewpoint Pest Management Solutions, we hope that this guide helps you understand local ants and what they want with your home. If you're ready to enlist our services, our pest control in Sterling can help. For more information on how we can keep your home ant-free, click over to our residential pest control page!
The Types Of Ants That Invade Sterling Homes
There is an array of ants that invade Sterling homes, but they’re not all the same, nor should they be treated as such.
Here are the most common types of ants in Sterling:
- Pavement ants: This type of ant lives in the cracks and crevices of driveways, sidewalks, and outdoor spaces. They build their colonies below ground and are usually attracted to sweet foods.
- Odorous house ants: The odorous house ant gets its name from the rotten coconut smell that they produce when they get crushed. They typically linger around dirty garbage bins.
- Argentine ants: This species is an amber color, so they’re easy to distinguish from other species. They are also attracted to standing water and food residue, so keeping a tidy home is ideal in deterring them.
For more information on ant control in Sterling, contact Viewpoint Pest Management Solutions today.
The Dangers Of Having Ants In Your Home
When you live in Sterling there are two main types of ants that can pose a danger to either your well-being or your home itself. The red imported fire ant is easy to spot because of its prominent bright coloring. This type of ant is particularly dangerous because they bite en masse and some people will experience very severe allergic reactions. The red imported fire ant is also attracted to oily and sugary goods so they are prominent in outdoor spaces. The carpenter ant is a threat because they burrow inside of the wood around properties. They can cause termite-like damage by doing so.
For carpenter ant pest control or fire ant pest control in Sterling, call Viewpoint Pest Management Solutions today.
How To Remove Factors That Attract Ants To Your Home
Ants are crafty pests that can fit through many of the openings that exist around your home. Try these ant prevention tips to keep them on the outside:
- Seal up openings. Ants are able to fit through very small openings, which means that you need to restore cracks in your foundation with caulk while also applying weatherstripping to windows and doors that are loose.
- Keep a clean home. These Sterling pests will find food wherever they can, so be sure to sweep and disinfect regularly while also taking out the trash often.
- Store food properly. Another thing that ants desire is access to food, whether it's meaty, oily, or sweet. Always store these items in airtight containers.
For more information on ant control, contact the pros at Viewpoint Pest Management Solutions today.
The Trick To Total Ant Control For Your Home
Whether you’re looking to eliminate the ants from your home or you want to take a proactive stance toward future issues, look no further than Viewpoint Pest Management Solutions. We offer homeowners the option of three residential pest control programs that cover an array of ant species. You can opt for these services on a monthly or quarterly basis, and during the visits that we provide, we will actively look for ant problems as well as conditions around your property that could pose a potential issue. We apply both interior and exterior liquid treatments as well as seal up entry points that ants could be using to access your home. If any ants appear between visits, we will perform re-treatments at no additional charge until the issue is resolved.
For more information on our pest control services in Sterling, contact us today.